Time management techniques are not about managing time, they are about managing you. When you are managed your time is also managed.
Time management techniques are to improve your performance, productivity, and excellence. They save you from distractions, idle time, and mismanagement. They give you ideas to prioritize your work.
When you prioritize your work then you start focusing on the most important work to do. When you put the first thing first you go ahead. You make progress.
Time management techniques revolve around your choices. What you want to do and when you want to do it.
Time management techniques also allow you to accomplish more in less time. You will always have enough time for doing your task. You will never be rushing from task to task.
Time management techniques are many. Some are based on urgent and important work methodology, and some are for the proper task and team management. Some are for stress management and some for tracking task management. These also empower you to do anything. They give you a belief that You can do anything.
Overall they are to make you effective and hassle-free.
Here we are going to discuss 3 major time management techniques. These techniques are already perfected by experts. You have just to apply them in your life. These are so powerful that they can change your personality.
Time management techniques-1
Pomodoro is an Italian word for tomato. This time management technique is propounded by software developer Francesco Cirillo influenced by the Pomodoro-shaped kitchen timer.
In it, you divide your work time(pomodoros) into various shifts and break time to remain fresh and focused on the given task.
It works in the following manner.
- Set the clock timer for 25 minutes.
- Focus only on your work at this time.
- Stop as soon as the timer beeps the alarm.
- Take a 5-minute break.
- Resume the work for another 25 minutes after the break.
- After 4 cycles of 25/5 minutes, take a long break of 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process until finished with the work.
The advantages you gain by applying these tactics are mainly-
- You prioritize your work. Your work becomes the most important thing for you.
- You improve your planning for work because of a fixed time slot.
- This helps in avoiding distractions.
- You set your work priority.
- You are more focused.
- You feel fresh during work because of short breaks.
- Pomodoro application improves your productivity and performance.
Time management techniques-2
Eat the frog technique
Mark Twain has said, “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.”
Time management techniques are for prioritizing tasks at hand.
You pick your most important work or most difficult work in the morning and tackle it. This first work in the morning is your “frog”.
Once you are done with your frog then only you move on to the other works of the day but not before that.
You have to eat the frog first because it requires all your attention due to the importance of the work or the work is most difficult and you are avoiding it altogether.
“Eat that Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time” is a book written by the writer and motivator Brian Tracy.
In this book, he gave the terminology “eat the frog” for the first time.
This time management technique is very effective when we are dealing with difficult or most important work.
Do the most difficult and most important work first in the morning and progress your day with less important work.
This will make you more managed and progressive. When you go to the ‘eat the frog’ technique, then you will have to think and prioritize your work.
This saves you from procrastination and ineffective scheduling of your work.
When you prioritize your task then automatically you classify your work as
- Very Important work
- Important work
- Regular work
- Not a regular work
- Not important work
Doing the most important or difficult work first thing in the morning guarantees the rest of the work in your daily schedule will be easier to accomplish. This will motivate and energize you.
Time management techniques-3
The Eisenhower Matrix
The Eisenhower Matrix also referred to as Urgent-Important Matrix, helps you decide on and prioritize tasks by urgency and importance, sorting out less urgent and important tasks which you should either delegate or not do at all.
This matrix was evolved by the 35th President of the United States Of America.
This time management technique is very effective in deciding what to do and what to delegate.
Urgent Not Urgent
Important Do first Do later
(Quadrant 1) (Quadrant 2)
Not Important Delegate Eliminate
(Quadrant 3) (Quadrant 4)
- Quadrant 1 tells about works that are important and urgent. You should do them immediately. For example, consulting a doctor when you are sick is urgent and important. Don’t delay it. Because delaying it may have repercussions on your life.
- Quadrant 2 tells about works that are important but are not urgent. You should make a plan when you’ll tackle them. For example, going to a doctor for a routine checkup is important but not urgent. You can schedule it.
- Quadrant 3 tells about works that are not important but are urgent. You should delegate these tasks to your colleagues. Suppose someone is dialling you when you are doing your quadrant 1 activity. Attending the phone is urgent else the call will snap, but you are doing something very important in comparison to attending the phone. You can avoid the call or call somebody to attend to the call.
- Quadrant 4 tells about works that are not important and not urgent. You should eliminate them from your schedule. Don’t indulge in activities that are neither urgent nor important.
These are the three major time management techniques. When you apply them in your personal life your life will change, and your lifestyle will change. Time management techniques make you effective and successful in your every endeavour. they are your guide and mentor. Take them seriously.
The application of time management techniques enhances our work performance and gives us extra time to tackle other issues. Thus we become more effective.
Every successful organization and entrepreneur follow some time management techniques for more effectiveness.
2 thoughts on “3 Best Time Management Techniques For Your Excellence”